Thursday, August 31, 2006

Yikes! I've been tagged...

I was reading Shh...Mum is Thinking & discovered that I have been tagged for the book meme (thanks Mum! :). I am pleasantly startled to have been tagged but will have to wikipedia "meme" to see what the heck it means... Anyway, here goes:

ONE BOOK THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE:
Karen by Marie Killilea. I read this book, by a mother with a child with Cerebral Palsy, when I was twelve. I immediately found the local chapter of the UCPA in the phone book & applied to be a counselor at their summer camp (but I was too young that year). I spent my summers from age 13-22 volunteering &, eventually, working for pay at CP Day Camp. Working with developmentally "disabled" kids saved my life by making me feel useful & loved. It also prepared me for my years in a wheelchair & for raising a child with autism.

ONE BOOK THAT YOU’VE READ MORE THAN ONCE:
The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I was one of those people who read it every year from the time I was 14 until I was in my mid-twenties (& yes, I set some of the songs to music). I still have my heavily annotated paperbacks...

TWO BOOKS YOU’D WANT ON A DESERT ISLAND:
A single-volume copy of the LotR trilogy (of course!) plus The Dharma of Star Wars by Matthew Bortolin (who studied to be a Buddhist monk under Thich Nhat Han) because if I'm going to be stuck on a desert island I'm going to need this book!

ONE BOOK THAT MADE YOU LAUGH:
Any of PG Wodehouse's Jeeves & Wooster books. They make me laugh until I cry (not good read-aloud books :).

ONE BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY:
Sherri Tepper's books usually get me going at some point (one book even made me cry when I read the blurb on the back cover- so I didn't read that one). Her science-fiction/fantasy take on moral & societal issues are amazing.

ONE BOOK YOU WISH HAD BEEN WRITTEN:
A History of Hogwarts

ONE BOOK YOU WISH HAD NEVER BEEN WRITTEN:
It's not so much a book but a genre that I wish would never be written, & that's any book written with the intent to frighten the reader into doing (or not doing) something. They so often rely on pseudo-science & prey on people's predjudices & are just plain nasty.

ONE BOOK THAT YOU ARE CURRENTLY READING:
Old Kyoto by Diane Durston, a travel book lent to me by my neighbour. I am learning so much about Japanese language & customs reading this book!

ONE BOOK YOU HAVE BEEN MEANING TO READ:
Another Country- Navigating the Emotional Terrain of our Elders by Mary Pipher. Her Reviving Ophelia was a fantastic resource for teaching senior high Sunday School & I expect the same from this book. C & I are in the life stage where this book is relevant...

FIVE PEOPLE YOU TAG:
I feel rather presumptuous tagging these folks, but what the hey...
Zilari
Estee
MOM-NOS (you've probably already been tagged :)
ridgeback (heh, heh)
Roo... but you can do it by phone if you want :)

2 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Mum is Thinking said...

Lisa, I'm relieved you weren't bummed out when I tagged you...I find the hardest part of these meme things is tagging other people! Whew...

I want to look up "Old Kyoto" at our library; I love good travel books.

I like your well thought out answer to the "book you wish had never been written" question. That one stumped me. And I love the story about the book that changed your life.

One of the best things about this book meme is that I'm adding so many books to my wish list. I'm adding "Karen" as well, that sounds interesting.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Lisa/Jedi said...

I found the tagging difficult, too! This is great- I'm reading my "meaning to read" book now :) As for Karen, I reread it again when I finally hit adulthood & found it much more sentimental than I remembered (so be forewarned). I think some of the subtler stuff went over my head, which is just fine since it did the job it was meant to (?).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits