Friday, October 06, 2006

Hooked on "Pythagoras Switch"...

Have you seen Pythagoras Switch yet? I was fortunate to have come across this amazing show on a site called TV in Japan (fun and funky as well :). Pythagoras Switch is a cross between Sesame Street & mathematics, via Rube Goldberg & Mr. Rogers... with a 60's Beatles sensibilty thrown in for fun :) It's amazing. I searched YouTube to find as many shows as I could & shared them with B this morning (he's off school today & Monday as well). He loved them, even though they are mainly aimed at younger kids. All of the clips on YouTube are subtitled in english, as the show is from Japan. The link above is our favourite clip, which includes a group of ninjas participating in a mainstay of the show, the "Algorithm March". B loved the idea of an algorithm being part-dance & part-martial arts kata :) They are using algorithms in school for math, so he appreciated the use of the concept. I find them absolutely fascinating- kind of like the physically rendered version of singing a round or a human machine. Another regular bit is a puppet show featuring 2 little birds, a book, a mouse on wheels, & a dog/television called "terebee-no-john" (say it fast :) where they explain various ideas of form & function, complete with running gags. B's absolute fave parts though are the Rube Goldberg devices that punctuate the shows. We have been singing the little jingle "pee-tah-go-ra su-weetchee" to each other all day, it's so catchy. Yet another thing to add to the list of items to pick up in Japan next June- I only hope it's out on dvd by then!!

6 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was amazingly cool!! I shared it with a couple of people including my ASD "kid".


Thank you!!

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are DVD's that only play in some parts of the world. Maybe you know that. They are in different formats, so make sure your DVD player can play the one you get DVD you get in Japan.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger The Jedi Family of Blogs said...

Thanks, Camille. I've been researching the dvd zone-thing. My understanding is that you can play any dvd on your laptop, even if it's zoned for asia, etc. We are hoping to find Japanese pokemon vhs tapes (older releases, if necessary), which will solve the problem nicely for watching on the regular vcr. Our japanese teacher made a vcr tape for us last year of some kids' tv shows, so we know they'll work. Then any dvds we get we'll just watch on the laptop... or that's the plan :)

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought a vhs tape in Russia something like 10 years ago... and it wouldn't play on my American player. Are you sure Japanese VHS tapes don't suffer the same zone issue?

I'm glad to hear that the asian DVDs play on computers... I thought about ordering "mozart and the whale" from Australia, but the seller couldn't tell me if it would play on a mac....

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Japanese VHS tapes will play on American VCRs. (Japan is in the same zone as the US, but both the US and Japan are in a different zone than Europe.) This came in very handy when I moved to Japan from the U.S. after college, as my friends could send me videos of American TV when I was homesick. :)

Pythagoras Switch is amazing! I will definitely be picking up DVDs when I next visit 日本.

 
At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

definitely post links to dvd if you find 'em! thanks! (already sick of looking and finding only two episodes on youtube/googlevid)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits